Call me a weirdo, but I love vegetables! Seriously, I crave them. If I want a midnight snack, I’m probably going to throw together a simple salad and chow down. My husband thinks I’m an absolute lunatic because of it.
Clara is at an age where eating anything is exciting to her, so I’m constantly introducing her to new flavors in hope that she’ll like healthy options as she grows. Most kiddos will enjoy vegetables if we just make it fun for them to eat. And let’s be honest, adults like healthy food more when it’s fun too.
Here is one of my tried and true recipes to get your little one to eat some veggies. These are great for breakfast, and help you to get off on the right foot for the day.
Veggie Packed Monster Muffins
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 cup shredded carrots (feel free to add in any additional veggies here to really make it extra healthy! I like zucchini, but you get creative)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup (get the good stuff. Don’t ruin this recipe with sugar free pancake topping)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or your preferred baking flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease your muffin tin or use paper liners
3. Combine the vinegar and baking soda together in a small bowl. It’s important that you mix them together separately before adding other ingredients.
4. In a blender or food processor combine the vinegar and baking soda mixture, applesauce, spinach, carrots, banana, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
5. Combine the flour and baking powder together in a bowl.
6. Add the blended ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Depending on how many veggies you included you may have too dry of a mix here to work with. If this is the case, add 1 or 2 Tbsp of milk to the mixture to help thin it down a bit.
7. Using a spoon, add the mixture to your greased muffin tins. This will make about 12 muffins.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 16-18 minutes.
Let me know how your kiddos felt about these muffins! Clara seems to enjoy them : )